Thursday, January 29, 2009

venus during the day

today (thursday) and tomorrow (friday) provide excellent opportunities to see the bright planet venus during the day - which is one of my favorite astronomical phenomena! the very thin crescent moon sits right next to venus during these two days, making it easier to adjust your eyes to venus's position.

from both hemispheres, the crescent of the moon opens toward venus today, then tomorrow, venus sits on the convex side of the moon.


happy planet hunting!

2 comments:

square729wax said...

I got a photo of this tonight, posted here:
http://firstcontactastronomy.blogspot.com/2009/01/moon-and-venus.html

Beautiful view!

David Frankis said...

As a teenager I once followed Arcturus in the dawn sky - as I recall, I managed to go past sunrise, though that may be my memory playing tricks. Anyway, it's easier going from dark to light than the other way around.