Wednesday, May 27, 2009

30 shades of red

i've actually been looking forward to turning thirty. i've celebrated thoroughly by enjoying a sunny weekend in the peak district with friends (pictures soon), despite acquiring tonsillitis last week. how many 30 year olds get tonsillitis, anyway? i dont know, but this one did!

i never created a list of "things to do before i turn X years old." i certainly have things i'd like to experience in life, but it seems silly to me to put a timeframe on most activities. why create pressure like that for myself? most likely my interests or circumstances will change over time, and i want to allow freedom for that to happen! expectations are inevitably met with disappointment when we're so focused on a goal that we forget to enjoy the intervening events!


for a bit of birthday fun, here is a picture of my big-cheeked self on my 3rd birthday. my family jokes that when i was a baby, you could see my cheeks from behind!


since trying to recreate old photographs is highly entertaining, here is my 30 year old self today:


i've nearly grown into my cheeks, i think.

it's also a good day to remember this piece of wisdom from jessica hagy...

12 comments:

KingOfAnkh said...

Happy birthday!

Julia said...

Happy birthday, Amanda!

Tom said...

Yep, you finally fulfilled your destiny with those cheeks and dimples!

Happy Birfday, Amanda!

tom

Tidley_wink said...

Happy Birthday, sistah!

<3

heroineworshipper said...

Turning 30 was like turning 20 again. You're going to have money to lose in the next 10 years & it's amazing how that changes your view of how the world works. Money to lose is like free will to lose.

Ken Riches said...

Great pictures. Hope you had a great birthday :o)

John said...

Happy birthday! Great blog!

Arun Rahul said...

hahahhaa......congrats on ur 30 red shades and nicely told about the time framing thing and pressurising oneself...

Wish u to have more red shades and that 80 thing happen to u in the picture....

Candie said...

Happy birthday!!

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Happy birthday. The photo is cute! Now and then!

Nikky said...

Happy Birthday! Your pics were super cute and gave me a giggle! I actually have a list of things to accomplish in my 30's (giving myself a decade here as i like to procrastinate!) It's full of fun stuff like trips i'd like to take, goals i have set for myself (like buying a house) and so forth. To date I have crossed off, buying a computer, and getting my Right Hand Ring! I say on your birthday make your list and make it fun!

Hope you have a fantastic day!

Big Mark 243 said...

I wish that I could say something more mundane than 'happy birthday'. I really enjoy your entries, and you certainly have grown into those cheeks!

You still have the playful mischief in your eyes as you did a a wee lass!

Keep them apples up!! Happy belated!!