Monday, September 29, 2008

vinyl sound waves

its unfortunate to think how much is created and preserved with current technology, which will probably not be available at some point in the near future as technologies change. the print on old books fades, the floppy disk with my high school english writing project is unreadable, unless i buy a record player i cannot accept the wonderful gift of micheals jackson's bad on vinyl from my mother, all the cassette tapes i collected in college of live shows by various bands are now gone, etc...

here's an art installation by jean shin that nicely summarizes the point.


it's called "sound waves" and was highlighted in a NY Times article. the artist melted old vinyl records and "the resulting structure speaks to the inevitable waves of technology that render each successive generation of recordable media obsolete."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I still have about 30 or 40 LPs gathering dust...and I also have an old PC gathering dust. I will buy one of those USB-turntables for about 75$ and convert all my LP's to mp3's with that old computer...And I still have tons of tapes, but I still have a tape player in my car, meaning I still listen to old tapes often (a few did get transfered to mp3's)!