Tuesday, April 10, 2012

an invocation for beginnings

interesting points to consider, by ze frank.




"life isn't just a sequence of waiting for things to be done," he says.

yes, that's certainly true, but my struggle right now is that i'm not entirely sure what my "goal" is, or in what time frame i'm trying to reach that vaguely elucidated end point.  it was easier when my goal was to get a PhD and a job.  ok.  now what?

so i'm traveling and accomplishing small things in hopes that they help me envision and define what it is i ultimately want. such is the problem with career steps (ie. postdocs) that last for a couple years, i guess. but i'm not trying to follow along a traditional academic career path, i just want to do astronomy and share it with as many people as i can, because the Universe is awesome in the true sense of the word.

what am i trying to do, though? i think i know,** but i don't know how to get there. so that is the goal i've set for myself for the next ~6 months... more clearly define what it is that i actually want to do, who it will benefit, and who i can convince to pay me to do it!

but ze is right - we must remember to actually enjoy the moments as they happen, or what's the point? i know that these days i'm certainly enjoying being super! :)




** dream job: science correspondent on the daily show! jon stewart, have you been getting all the post cards i've been sending over the last several years? call me.

4 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

...ooh I could just hug you..!

I stumble around your blog because I love the name and you do break down the big stuff that I wished to have taken to when I was young, to a point where I almost grasp it! You are cute and funny... why don't you send him some stuff and see what would happen... you never, EVER know..!

Sometimes, you have to simply make your place where none exists..!

L&R
Mark

Unknown said...

thanks, mark! could use a hug and welcome the encouragement!

Jesse Rogerson said...

hey I love reading your blog! and this one was an especially good post.

I'm not sure how I came across your blog, but I'm glad you write it!

thanks

heroineworshipper said...

Big difference between grad school, where progress is automatic, & the private sector, where you're on your own. Everyone wants to be director of the Hayden planetarium. Make a living at what you want, without competition. Have the extravagant Manhattan lifestyle.