Thursday, November 20, 2008

from italy to england

sometimes "home" is a relative term: home is where my family lives, home is where i keep my stuff, home is where my computer sits (sad, but true, modern statement). i'm at my current home again, nottingham, england, where it's not nearly as cold as i feared it would be!

it was nice to visit a country where english is not the first language. i learned some necessary words and phrases in italian, but found myself always defaulting to spanish. now i have to rush off to work to take care of some immediate business, and then prepare for my first spanish class! i miss speaking another language so i'm excited for these classes that are offered by the university.

overall, italy was beautiful. the ancient city of rome brought a disorienting sense of history to my mind, while naples tempted my palette in pastariffic ways! pompeii, ercolano, amalfi.... many, many pictures to come... as soon as i sit down to sort thru them!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"it was nice to visit a country where english is not the first language"

hahaha, I had to read it twice, because at first glance I thought you meant Nottingham!

Anonymous said...

Oops,I should clear that up, I was referring to the Nottingham accent, which to outsiders doesn't sound much like English at all.

Unsui said...

Bienvenido!!! I have four class advantage over you here. But assumption is you never have had any exposure to Spanish ...