Wednesday, November 28, 2007

books of 2007

of the NY Times 100 notable books of 2007, i have read one: harry potter and the deathly hallows.

i admit that it hasnt been a great year for me to finish books. living in new locations causes me to explore as much as possible instead of snuggling up with a good book.

i'm reading a good novel right now, but i have nothing on deck and no ideas either.... can anyone suggest something for me to read? i'm not picky about genre or author or topic or anything. what are your favorite books and what should i absolutely, positively read without hesitation?!? thanks!


image: Real Gabinete Portugues De Leitura Rio De Janeiro, Brasil
via: curious expeditions

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggest that you must read a book about Leni Riefenstahl, a wonderful woman to my mind.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any 2007 recommendations. But consider these:

Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter. This is a fantastic book on the topic of mind, computer programming, and articficial intelligence - among much else. It is a COMMITMENT though, so if you're not up for a long journey maybe save it for another time.

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Very brainy and intricate post-modern fiction, in roughly the same genre as, say, Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, but more accessible and readable than Pynchon I think. Also a commitment, though (weighing in at 1088 pages).

I'm currently reading In My Own Way by Alan Watts, which at least the half of which I've read is turning out to be a highly entertaining autobiography. If you're not familiar with Alan Watts, maybe consider reading his non-autobiographical work first though, such as The Wisdom of Insecurity.

Anyway, I'd love to know if any of these has piqued your interest. Let us know what you end up reading.

Book Calendar said...

I would suggest Schulz and Peanuts , it is a very nice biography of Charles Schulz. It has lots of the original strips from peanuts throughout the book and they surprisingly correspond with his life a lot. You might enjoy it.

Unknown said...

thanks for the ideas! keep 'em coming!

i just watched "it's the great pumpkin, charlie brown" around halloween! i love that one.

i'll keep you posted on what i choose!

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend these two (not 2007, though) these two:

*For Whom the Bell Tolls (Hemingway of course)- great novel about the Spanish Civil War.

*Life on a Young Planet (A. Knoll)- Just finished this one. Sure we know about dinosaurs, and maybe even the Cambrian explosion, but what was our planet like before 500 Ma??

Unknown said...

i'm starting the year out with "twilight" by stephenie meyer and it's wonderful!

i'll try to keep my profile updated...