Wednesday, November 3, 2010

things i'll miss about england

tomorrow i move away from england, my home of the last 2 years and 3 months. i have to admit i'm emotionally exhausted from saying so many big goodbyes, but i'm completely over dealing with all the preparations for moving across the world.


things i will miss about england

the sound of the accent, in general, but also how geographically quickly the accents vary!

being called "love" or "duck"

the subtle and hilarious humo(u)r

riding on the upper floor of a double decker bus, in the front seat!

the variety of locally brewed, tasty, real ales. and ciders. and whisky...

satisfying late night cravings for chips!

premier league football

afternoon tea, and the arguments about the "proper" way to add milk to tea

pub quizzes (i only ever won one during my time in england, but not for lack of trying!)

running along the canals

my city center flat and walking to shops

come dine with me

rambling thru the unbelievably bright green countryside

sandwiches from homemade.

participating in sixty symbols

postdoc lunches (PDL), specifically at the vic!

unforgettable friendships
.



things i will not miss about blighty

the weather

general moaning and the expectation things will inevitably go wrong: "typical!"

friday and saturday night debauchery by the locals (lack of clothes year round, incredible drunkenness, etc...)

invisible queues ("An Englishman, even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one." - George Mikes)

the irrational excesses of english politeness

lack of eye contact

not speaking to strangers, or in most cases, not even acknowledging the existence of other people, unless, of course, one is trying to sell the big issue, or sharing the silent acknowledgment of the impudence of a queue jumper.

confusing one-way streets that are practically impossible to navigate, mostly because the street signs are purposely hidden!

riding my bike in the rain

the full english breakfast

brits asking me to imitate the british accent and then laughing at me when i cant

"i cant be bothered" to come up with anymore right now, but if youre curious about any of these aspects of the english culture, i can highly recommend the book watching the english: the hidden rules of english behaviour by kate fox. in her socialogical study, she hilariously captures the peculiarities of living with the english. reading this book completely changed my perspective and experience here.

cheers, england!

7 comments:

Steve Hall said...

Once more, with vigor: Thanks, Amanda, for sharing your life with us through your blog. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I can't wait to hear about Oz!

Godspeed!

Mark Garth said...

You don't like the full english breakfast...not even once a week? :-) Good luck down under.

Unsui said...

Amanda, Your notes from England were very insightful and gave me an opportunity to compare notes from my stay on the Island.
Looking forward to your notes from next stop on your World trip.

heroineworshipper said...

Nothing like being in the real Harry Potter world. Like the military. Always moving.

Anonymous said...

This means you won't be on any more periodic videos?!?! Noooooooo =(

Tom said...

Amanda,

I only just came across this post - you and I both posted stuff about what we'll miss after major changes. Since you observed at UKIRT recently (and were, until very recently, at Nottingham where I used to be many years ago) you might be interested in this.

Best of luck with the move, I'm sure you'll find Australia a wonderful place to live and work! Shame you've left just now, I'm in Nottingham in a couple of weeks!

Tom

Dan Satterfield said...

My Best friend lives in Wales Amanda, and I heartily agree!

Wishing I were in London...
Dan

ps- You forgot the incredible interest in the size and model of the engine in your hire car.